Prep 3 mins
Cook 12 mins
Louisiana Cajun Gravy used as a base for Seafood, Chicken, Sausage, or the kitchen chair (shaved, joke) served over rice.
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 1 bunch green onion (chopped, tops only)
- 4 garlic cloves (chopped)
- Mix flour and oil together in a 4 cup GLASS measuring bowl with a whisk until smooth.
- Important to whisk smooth before putting in the microwave oven.
- Cook on HIGH power (100%) 7 minutes, stir and whisk at 4 minutes and again every 30 seconds until you achieve a dark caramel color.
- Don't burn the roux!
- Please be careful the glass bowl will be extremely HOT.
- Carefully add the onions, bell pepper, and celery to the how roux.
- It will sizzle and the aroma will be fantastic.
- Mix well and cook 3 minutes on HIGH.
- Add the green onions and garlic to the glass bowl.
- Cook 2 more minutes on HIGH.
- Additional notes:If you have ever made roux the conventional way, you know it must be watched constantly or it will burn.
- The first step, oil/flour cook on high 7 minutes, when your timer shows 4 minutes remove the glass bowl from the microwave and stir/whisk.
- Put the bowl back in the oven and continue to cook, however, take the bowl out every 30 seconds and stir/whisk as the roux begins to thicken.
- When the roux is medium to dark caramel color I like to take the bowl out of the oven and stir/whisk, the roux will continue to darken and you will have less chance of burning your roux.
- Depending on the powers (watts) of your microwave oven (700 to 1000 watts) the roux could start to thicken and brown at 5- 9 minutes.
- Attempt to get the color you like, Med, Dark Med, or Dark.
- The next 2 stages (3 minutes for the tough vegetables, then 2 more minutes for the tender vegetables).
- You really don't have to stir while the vegetables saute, however, you do stir when you first add them to the roux then forget it!
- You have now made authentic Cajun Roux in your microwave Oven.