Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I ate a cabbage soup at a restaurant that was so delicious, I had to seek out the recipe. I was so happy when I found a version of this recipe in one of my older cookbooks. I changed some ingredients to match the taste of what I ate at the restuarant and here is the result. The cook times will vary greatly from microwave to microwave, so you may need to keep checking for doneness the first time. If you like a little more zest, toss in a little garlic or a slice of ginger, or even float some fresh jalapeno slices on top if you like it really spicy. I have posted the family friendly version, but feel free to adjust the seasonings to your liking. Please note: despite the addition of milk in this, the soup is not a creamy soup, but is more brothy.
- 4 cups green cabbage, chopped or shredded finely
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 onions, chopped (I use Vidalia sweet onions)
- 1 bunch scallion, chopped (green & white parts, reserving some of the green for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chicken broth or 2 (16 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 cup skim milk, warmed
- 1 cup shredded carrot (approx 2 carrots)
- You will need a deep, heavy microwave safe cooking dish- such as a round Corningware casserole (no lid).
- Put butter in casserole and heat for 40 seconds on HIGH heat (or until melted).
- Add cabbage, onions, scallions, salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Cook on HIGH 4-6 minutes.
- Add the broth and cook on HIGH another 15 minutes.
- Add the warm milk (I remove the soup from the microwave and heat up the milk for 1 minute or so in a glass measure).
- Stir in the carrots and return to the microwave to heat on HIGH 3-4 minutes.
- Test for seasonings- add more salt, pepper, or sugar if needed to suit your tastes.
- You may need to adjust cooking times for your microwave- if cabbage is not tender enough yet, keep microwaving in 3-4 minute intervals on HIGH,stirring, until veggies are cooked to your liking.
Made this for lunch today and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I only made half the recipe. I used 1% milk as that was all I had and it was very good.
Loved this!! This recipe goes straight to the keeper file. I added a little minced jalapeno. Thanks for sharing this wonderful, quick, healthy and tasty recipe.
Wow. This soup is sooo good. I used Imagine's vegetable stock. The flavor of this soup is outstanding. We kept saying mmm, the whole time we ate it. Made it exactly as written.