1/1 Photo of Microwave Cabbage Soup
I ate a cabbage soup at a restaurant that was so delicious, I had to seek out the recipe. I was so happy when I found a version of this recipe in one of my older cookbooks. I changed some ingredients to match the taste of what I ate at the restuarant and here is the result. The cook times will vary greatly from microwave to microwave, so you may need to keep checking for doneness the first time. If you like a little more zest, toss in a little garlic or a slice of ginger, or even float some fresh jalapeno slices on top if you like it really spicy. I have posted the family friendly version, but feel free to adjust the seasonings to your liking. Please note: despite the addition of milk in this, the soup is not a creamy soup, but is more brothy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups green cabbage, chopped or shredded finely
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 onions, chopped (I use Vidalia sweet onions)
- 1 bunch scallion, chopped (green & white parts, reserving some of the green for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chicken broth or 2 (16 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 cup skim milk, warmed
- 1 cup shredded carrot (approx 2 carrots)
- 1You will need a deep, heavy microwave safe cooking dish- such as a round Corningware casserole (no lid).
- 2Put butter in casserole and heat for 40 seconds on HIGH heat (or until melted).
- 3Add cabbage, onions, scallions, salt, pepper, and sugar.
- 4Cook on HIGH 4-6 minutes.
- 5Add the broth and cook on HIGH another 15 minutes.
- 6Add the warm milk (I remove the soup from the microwave and heat up the milk for 1 minute or so in a glass measure).
- 7Stir in the carrots and return to the microwave to heat on HIGH 3-4 minutes.
- 8Test for seasonings- add more salt, pepper, or sugar if needed to suit your tastes.
- 9You may need to adjust cooking times for your microwave- if cabbage is not tender enough yet, keep microwaving in 3-4 minute intervals on HIGH,stirring, until veggies are cooked to your liking.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Microwave Cabbage Soup
Serving Size: 1 (347 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 210.3
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 24.1 mg
- Sodium 1409.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 10.1 g