Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Extremely versatile, easy and elegant. Stuffed with ham, broccoli and cheese and served with a cheese sauce. Good source of vitamins A & C, niacin, calcium & iron.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, cooked
- 2 green onions, minced
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (2 1/4 lbs total)
- 3 ounces cooked ham, 3 slices, cut into halves
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- Drain broccoli well; combine with green onions and 1/2 cup cheese in a large bowl and mix.
- Pound each chicken breast half to 1/4-inch thickness, and top each with a piece of ham and 1/6 of broccoli mixture.
- Fold chicken in half over filling; tuck thinner ends under (use toothpicks to hold in filling if necessary).
- Mix bread crumbs, parsley, and paprika.
- Brush about a tablespoon of melted butter over chicken, and coat with seasoned crumbs.
- In a 13"x9" baking dish, cook chicken, covered loosely with waxed paper, on High 10 to 12 minutes (until fork tender) (High heat on my microwave is 800 watts.).
- Let stand, covered, while preparing sauce.
- In a 1-quart bowl, stir together remaining 2 tbsp butter, flour, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in milk gradually; cook on High 3 1/2 minutes or until boiling, stirring twice.
- Add remaining cheese, whisking until melted; serve with chicken.