Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is from "A Hundred Years of Island Cooking", an old cookbook from the Hawaiian Electric Company.
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 cups fresh cauliflower florets
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- Combine broccoli and cauliflower in a microwave-safe baking dish. Cover.
- Stirring once, microwave on high power for 8 to 12 minutes or until tender; drain.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Stirring after each minute, microwave on high power for 3 to 4 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Pour sauce over vegetables.
I really just wanted to try the sauce found in this recipe. I steamed the vegetables to crisp-tender and made the sauce on the stovetop as well. That was as quick (if not quicker) than microwaving--less than ten minutes. Making the sauce is easy and gave ordinary vegetables added zip. The dijon mustard imparts a complementary mild flavor--a refreshing change from usual cheese sauces. Thanks, Chilicat, for an uncomplicated and quick sidedish!
I'm sorry to give a low review but our family just did not like this dish. The sauce came out bland and our kids didn't want to eat it. I even used extra mustard and thought that maybe it would become bolder after I cooked it, but it didn't really help much. Maybe it just depends on the Dijon mustard, but I don't think we will be making it again.
Very delicious and easy- I love the sauce! Thanks!