Recipe by fluffernutter
Hard to believe, but you can microwave these muffins in just 2 minutes. I know, I know, I didn't believe it either, and I've been baking semi-professionally for 15 years. Great solutions for midsummer baking, and children can bake their own! The batter recipe is from the Enchanted Broccoli Forest by Mollie Katzen. I usually substitute whole wheat flour and a little flax seed meal for a portion of the white flour. The yield was supposedly 12, but I've never gotten more than 8 or 10 muffins from it.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup milk or 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh blueberries or 1 cup frozen blueberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Melt the honey and butter together. Stir in the milk, egg and lemon juice. Combine the wet ingredient and the dry ingredients and mix a little. Add the blueberries and mix gently until no white streaks of flour remain.
- Coat a plastic muffin tin or 6 1-cup Pyrex custard cups with nonstick cooking spray. Fill cups half full of batter. Microwave five or six at a time for about 2 1/2 minutes for an 1100-watt microwave. (Start checking at about 2 minutes.) When they look set, they're done. Let stand 3 to 5 minutes to firm up. Turn out of tins/cups.