Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a great recipe because you don't have to stand over the stove stirring! I clipped it from somewhere years ago.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk (skim milk is OK)
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 (12 ounce) box vanilla wafers
- 4 -6 ripe bananas (sliced into circles)
- 1 (8 ounce) container whipped topping
- In large microwavable bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in milk and mix well. Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Remove from microwave.
- Stir in egg yolks.
- Microwave at 3-minute intervals. Stirring well after each until pudding is thick and creamy. (It usually takes me 4 or 5 intervals. Will vay by microwave).
- Stir in butter and vanilla.
- In 9x13-inch glass pan, layer vanilla wafers on bottom, then half bananas, then half of pudding. Repeat layering process. Refrigerate. Top with whipped cream before serving (optional).
I've never made regular banana pudding so I have no point of comparison, but this was definitely easy to prepare. Mine took three rounds (at the 3 min part) and my 3 year old had a blast helping me arrange the cookies and bananas- almost as much fun as my husband had eating it!
Made this for the church tonight. I couldn't believe how easy it was. My microwave only needed 2 turns plus 1 minute. I grabbed mini vanilla wafers at the store. They worked fine just took the ocd part of me longer to make them all flat and turned to the same side.