Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
If you have a microwave oven, this recipe will become as basic for you as baked potatoes. It is SO easy, yet tasty and impressive, too. The onions may also be baked in a conventional oven.
- 4 large sweet onions, preferably Vidalias
- fresh ground black pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Peel onions and cut in half horizontally. Place in a 1-quart casserole dish.
- Top each onion half with salt and pepper to taste. Add a pat of butter, using 1/2 teaspoon to 1/2 tablespoon per onion.
- Cover and cook at 100% power (HIGH) for 8 to 10 minutes, or until onions are soft.
- Uncover and top each half with shredded cheese to taste.
- Pop back in microwave and zap just long enough to melt the cheese.
- If you prefer, bake the onions one hour in a conventional 350-degree oven, topping with cheese when baking has finished.
- An alternate topping: Prepare onions as above, but top each half with 1/2 tablespoon EACH butter and brown sugar.
Easy and very tasty. I cooked the onions for 4 min in microwave and then gave them 30 min in 350 oven. Thanks for posting this recipe, I will be making them again, they will be wonderful with bacon, and maybe a little sour cream mixed with the cheese.
What an awesome simple recipe to use up an abundance of onions. Each gardening season, I always make room in my small garden for hordes of onions, and to date, March 26, 2006, I still have bags of them, some starting to sprout now!. I will definitely be using this recipe often.I did also add a few sprinkles of garlic.I also tried to go somewhat light on the cheese, to avoid too much fat. TY Lorraine