Lorraine of AZ's Note:
If you have a microwave oven, this recipe will become as basic for you as baked potatoes. It is SO easy, yet tasty and impressive, too. The onions may also be baked in a conventional oven.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel onions and cut in half horizontally. Place in a 1-quart casserole dish.
- 2Top each onion half with salt and pepper to taste. Add a pat of butter, using 1/2 teaspoon to 1/2 tablespoon per onion.
- 3Cover and cook at 100% power (HIGH) for 8 to 10 minutes, or until onions are soft.
- 4Uncover and top each half with shredded cheese to taste.
- 5Pop back in microwave and zap just long enough to melt the cheese.
- 6If you prefer, bake the onions one hour in a conventional 350-degree oven, topping with cheese when baking has finished.
- 7An alternate topping: Prepare onions as above, but top each half with 1/2 tablespoon EACH butter and brown sugar.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Microwave Baked Onions
Serving Size: 1 (75 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 60.0
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 6.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 1.6 g