Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This makes a family sized baked custard. Its a great dessert. Try served with some tinned fruit. It's gluten free as it has no flour. I have made it with soy milk successfully
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs, thoroughly beaten
- 60 g sugar (2 ounces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Warm the milk on medium heat for 5 minutes in a large glass jug.
- Meanwhile thoroughly beat the eggs.
- Quickly stir in the eggs, sugar and vanilla.
- Pour into a 1.5 litre glass or ceramic dish. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Cook on medium-low heat for 14-16 minutes.
- The mixture will thicken as it chills.
- Refrigerate until set.
I used up some leftover egg nog as the milk in this recipe. I had great success. This comes together so so fast and we all really enjoyed it
This was a very nice custard, and very easy to put together. I did find there to be quite a bit of water in the dish before and after refrigeration, however that's probably because of using 1% milk. I also used Splenda in place of the sugar. Thanks Jubes for another terrific recipe. Made for the May Pool Party Tag in the Diabetic Forum