Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 mins
A quick and easy applesauce that tastes like baked apples! Works very well with Gala or other sweet apples. Can also be made with light margarine and brown sugar flavored Sugar Twin for the calorie conscious. (This is a sweet applesauce, and is more suited to being a dessert than a side dish.)
- 2 apples
- 1⁄8 cup water
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter (optional) or 1⁄2 teaspoon margarine (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Use an apple corer to core and slice apples into 8 pieces. Chop the 8 pieces into 1/4 inch slices.
- Place in a microwave safe bowl with water. Sprinkle brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg on apples.
- Divide butter or margarine into small pinches and distribute over the apples. This step is optional, but it helps give the dish a "baked apple" flavor.
- Microwave on high for 8 to 10 minutes until apples are soft. Can also be mashed or blended after removal from the microwave for a finer consistancy.
Although I usually make a large batch of applesauce (even though there are just the 2 of us), I did make this smaller batch, though doubled the recipe! Used some absolutely delicious Gala apples & I also added a bit of lemon juice! Great tasting & certainly easy to make this way! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this fall's round of Pick A Chef]
Thanks for this easy recipe. I made it for a diabetic. Seemed fairly tart to me. I used a combination of red delicious, and pippen apples. I did add a little vanilla for extra flavor, and a little lemon juice so the apples wouldn't turn brown. I appreciated the ease of preparation. Nice texture.Thanks Cassia!