Recipe by mfl666
Isn't it interesting that Michigans are not known by that name in Mighican? I believe they are only known as Michigans in northern New York (my hometown).
Top Review by gehennaemail
Very good Michigan sauce. I'm from Burlington, Vermont and it is called "Michigan" sauce there too. If you are ever in Burlington, go to Battery Park and get a Michigan Hot Dog from "Beansies Bus", it is a city landmark and have been their many generations.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix tomato sauce, hot sauce and seasonings in a large saucepan.
- Add raw ground beef and mash with potato masher while cooking.
- Cook on medium heat for 30 minutes until beef is browned, then simmer on low for 2-3 hours.
- (Sauce will be very thick) Serve Michican Sauce over steamed hot dogs in a steamed bun and top with chopped raw onions.