Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
A hearty, high fiber soup from the Michigan Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- Rinse barley in cold water; drain.
- Add salt to boiling water, followed by the barley.
- Cook until tender, about two hours (water will mostly evaporate).
- Add soup stock and vegetables.
- Cook until vegetables are tender.
- Serve hot.
THE perfect, hearty soup for a cold, dreary day.
Tonite I made a soup cleaning out the fridge without any recipe and it's pretty much the same as yours. I didn't do the carrots and my soup stock consisted of turkey broth, ham dripping stock and some veggie broth. I also added in a handful of macaroni noodles and pureed pumpkin.