Prep 0 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
About 1 and 1/2 cups generously sauces up 8 hot dogs. You can split the sauce into zip lock bags, squeeze out the air, and freeze. The sauce keeps very well in the freezer for up to a year.
- 3 lbs ground beef, ground very finely (sometimes called triple grind at meat markets or put yours in a food processor in small batches)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato juice (good quality)
- 6 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 medium onions, very finely diced
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Brown beef and onions in the cup of water.
- Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thick—usually about 3 hours.