Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I got this recipe from a Taste of Home Cookbook, and have taken it to two potlucks and it was a big hit!
- 1 lb fully cooked kielbasa or 1 lb fully cooked Polish sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 3 (15 1/2 ounce) cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut kielbasa or polish sausage in half lengthwise and slice thinly
- In a saucepan, cook sausage and onion in boiling water for 2 minutes, drain
- In a large bowl, combine the ketchup, sugars, vinegar, molasses, and mustard.
- Stir in the beans and sausage mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2 quart baking dish
- Cover and bake for 1-1/2 hours or until bean mixture reaches desired thickness
- May be cooked in a slow cooker for 6-8 hours on low.
This was very good but a little too sweet. I loved the way the sausage was just melt in your mouth. We ate it over white rice, it was an amzing dish.
Oh my!! These beans were VERY VERY good! I was apprehensive about them being too sweet, so the only adjustment I made, was I used 1/2 the amount of white sugar. Now, they're still a tad sweet, but we like ours like that! The smell as they were in the crock pot ... I was getting a rumbly tummy waiting for them to be done! *LOL* Definitely a big hit at our house and I'll be making these alot this summer!!! Thanks so much for posting the recipe!
To me this recipe was too sweet. If I make it again, I think I'll leave out the white sugar.