Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Simple home cooking.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 slices Canadian bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs fresh small fish fillets (whitefish, perch, bass, or trout)
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- black pepper
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, sliced
- Preheat oven to 325°; butter a 2-quart casserole and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat; brown the Canadian bacon briefly on each side; transfer bacon to a plate.
- Melt another 2 tablespoons butter in the skillet, add in onion, mushrooms, and breadcrumbs; stir for about 5 minutes.
- Scrape mixture evenly over the bottom of the prepared casserole.
- Arrange the fish fillets over the top; arrange the bacon slices over the fish.
- In a small saucepan, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat; add in flour and whisk for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in milk until the mixture is smooth; then add the cheese and oreagano; season with salt and pepper; stir until the cheese melts.
- Pour sauce evenly over the casserole; arrange the tomatoes over the top.
- Cover and bake about 30 minutes, until bubbly.