Recipe by Michelle_My_Belle
I'm super picky about fried chicken this is my super wordy recipe on how I learned to make the perfect fried chicken without breadcrumbs, crackers or other short cuts. Many of the recipe I've tried failed to meet my expectations, sometimes due to chef error, so this is my go to recipe for chicken. I always start out with the basic mix, do my piece, then add the extra ingredients for the men. It's developed from watching cooking shows, specifically guy's ddd on food network for my 'secret ingredient' and knowing our own tastes, I rarely measure, but I tried to keep an eye last time I made it. I rather like the dipping technique which I borrowed from Oven-Fried Chicken With Creamy Gravy. As three smokers (bad I know) it takes a bit more to stimulate our taste buds, so feel free to adjust per your families tastes but as stands this is a very flavorful recipe. I hate wasting flour and I've found a cup is just enough for the 3 breasts I always cook, if you add more flour, add more seasonings as it will spread them out into flour you may not use. Note - I don't have a thermometer for oil so when I throw a bit of flour in and it sizzles and browns right away I start doing the chicken. The spicy - if you stay towards the lower end of the cayenne pepper its only a mild spice, even I could take the heat, so If you like spicy, stay towards the higher end or maybe even add more.
Top Review by TapsGrl19
This chicken came out with a beautiful color and the outside crunch and taste was great however the inside was a bit bland for my taste. Next time I will pre-season with more than just salt. Will definitely be making again.
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups water
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 -1 1⁄2 tablespoon pepper
- 1 -1 1⁄2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 -1 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 -1 1⁄2 tablespoon dark chili powder
- 1 1⁄2-3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 tablespoon pepper (in addition to basic)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak chicken in salt mixed with water, let sit in fridge for at least 20 minutes to an hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 400.
- Drain salt water and rinse chicken well in cold water, shaking dry.
- Beat egg and milk in medium sized bowl.
- Mix flour and desired spices in another medium sized bowl.
- Put oil in skillet and heat on medium/high heat - See Tip 1.
- Dip chicken in flour mixture, coating generously.
- Dip same piece in egg mixture, shaking off excess.
- Re-dip into flour mixture - See Tip 2.
- Cook chicken (do not crowd) in large deep skillet (or I use a pot) for 6-8 minutes each side, do not lift except to turn once, do not stab with a fork (if your super tempted to look, use thongs and be careful - but I warned you lol).
- When finished place chicken in casserole dish or deep cookie tray (you can line with foil) Spread with a THIN layer of oil.
- Bake chicken 30 minutes or until cooked through, no need to turn.
- Tip 1 - Letting the chicken sit after floured on a plate (like while waiting ot coat the rest) results in some of it coming off or almost "melting", I suggest having the oil ready to go when you start dredging, or at least re dip in flour mixture right before tossing it inches.
- Tip 2 - On this step I always throw the chicken in, and move it around to coat the one side, then flip. Then I go wash all of the flour and egg off of my hands and dry them, then being careful not to let my hands touch a moisture spot again, coat the piece entirely. This will keep damp fingers from making spots of breading disappear.