Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
My co-worker shared her stew recipe with me and the children devoured it. This recipe could be halved easily but the flavor gets better as leftovers for work.
- 2 lbs beef stew meat (or cut up a roast)
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can water
- 4 carrots, diced
- 3 potatoes, cubed
- 3 slices turnips, cubed
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (with leaves)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 (10 ounce) can mushroom pieces (do not drain)
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt or pepper or fresh basil or dry basil or thyme
- Coat beef cubes with seasoned flour and brown.
- Transfer to casserole dish and add remaining ingredients. (Opt - add some clamato juice).
- Bake 4 1/2 to 5 hours at 300°F.