Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Another one from Appletree's (not chain) in Taos.
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried navy beans, washed
- 9 cups water
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 medium zucchini, chopped
- 4 tablespoons dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, minced
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked al dente
- In a large soup pot bring to a boil the beans, water and carrots. Cover and simmer for 2 to 3 hours.
- In a skillet fry the sausage on medium heat until well done. Remove and set aside reserving the drippings in the skillet.
- Add the onions, garlic, celery, zucchini, basil, sage and parsley in the same skillet with the drippings. Saute on medium-high heat until the onions are transparent.
- Add the sauteed vegetables, chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper to the soup.
- Chop the sausage and add to the soup.
- Simmer the soup for another hour adding the cooked macaroni at the end of the cooking time so doesn't become mushy.