Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
I didn't hear about the Presidential Cookie Bake-Off that Family Circle Magazine holds during election years until this year (you can find out more about that on their website). Apparently the spouses of the candidates submit a favorite cookie recipe for people to vote for. When I saw this recipe that Michelle Obama submitted, from a close family friend of hers, I knew I had to make it. I haven't quit making it since - friends, co-workers, and family are always asking for it. When I had my first bite of it out of the oven, I had to cut and wrap them quickly, or else the delicious smell would quite likely have me eating them all myself. This is definitely going on my Christmas cookie platter this year... and every year!
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white, beaten
- Heat oven to 325 degree F. Line a 17 x 12 x 1-inch baking pan with nonstick foil.
- Cream together butter and 1-1/2 cups of the sugar, and then add egg yolks, beating mixture until smooth.
- Beat in Amaretto and zest, before stirring in flour and salt.
- Spread dough evenly into pan, making it smooth and flat as possible.
- Brush top of dough with egg white; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Bake at 325 degree F for 25 minutes or until brown.
- Turn off oven and allow cookies to sit in oven, with door ajar, for 15 minutes. Cut while slightly warm.
These are quite good. I will add just a bit more of the zests next time. Made for Theirs Yours Mine Photo Tag Event. :)
These were a terrific shortbread, i added some crushed macadamia nuts to it as well! I subbed splenda for the sugar and made it in a a smaller pan because there is less volume then.
These were DELICIOUS ~ made them while watching football today! I cut the sugar by 1/2 cup but these were sweet enough anyway. I made my shortbread in a stoneware tray and they came out quite nicely. I'll definitely be making these again. Thanks Starrynews ~ made for PAC FALL 2009!