1/2 Photos of Michael's Great-Grandmother's Fry Cakes
Nikki Kate's Note:
My husband believe it or not makes this recipe. It has been handed down from his Great Grandparents!! **Note: you have to use real buttermilk liquid in this. I try it with powdered buttermilk and the recipe wasn't the same.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Oil temperature should be at 375 degrees F.
- 2Add baking soda to the buttermilk. Let set while preparing the next steps.
- 3In a large bowl mix the sugar, crisco and egg.
- 4Add the baking powder, ground cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt to the flour in small bowl.
- 5Mix flour mixture and buttermilk alternately into egg mixture until mixture holds together. Add a little more flour if needed.
- 6Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead until it springs back when pushed inches.
- 7Roll out, cut with a doughnut cutter.
- 8Drop in hot crisco, which has been heated to 375 F for about 3 minutes.
- 9Turn the doughnuts after they come to the surface of grease (about 1 1/2 minutes) and cook other side (about 1 1/2 minutes).
- 10Drain on paper towels.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Michael's Great-Grandmother's Fry Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (34 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 98.8
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 14.4 mg
- Sodium 72.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 2.2 g