Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 mins
My husband believe it or not makes this recipe. It has been handed down from his Great Grandparents!! **Note: you have to use real buttermilk liquid in this. I try it with powdered buttermilk and the recipe wasn't the same.
- Oil temperature should be at 375 degrees F.
- Add baking soda to the buttermilk. Let set while preparing the next steps.
- In a large bowl mix the sugar, crisco and egg.
- Add the baking powder, ground cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt to the flour in small bowl.
- Mix flour mixture and buttermilk alternately into egg mixture until mixture holds together. Add a little more flour if needed.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead until it springs back when pushed inches.
- Roll out, cut with a doughnut cutter.
- Drop in hot crisco, which has been heated to 375 F for about 3 minutes.
- Turn the doughnuts after they come to the surface of grease (about 1 1/2 minutes) and cook other side (about 1 1/2 minutes).
- Drain on paper towels.