Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is the way my Mom does Red New Potatoes. My son absolutely LOVES these. Every time he goes to Granny's house, she has to make this for him. *If you can make the sour cream mix a day ahead, and refrigerate it, it's even better! **Use the Hidden Valley Ranch ORIGINAL BUTTERMILK Ranch Dressing mix. It makes a difference!
- 3 lbs new potatoes
- 1 bunch green onion (one whole "bunch", chopped)
- 1 (16 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1 ounce hidden valley ranch dressing mix (*needs to be the Original buttermilk flavor)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 (5 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- Mix the package of Original Ranch mix into the sour cream. (If this is made a day ahead, it gets even better!).
- Wash the potatoes, and cut them into halves if they are very large new potatoes.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water, until soft (about 10-15 minutes).
- When potatoes are soft, drain them in a colander.
- Put the potatoes back in the pot after draining, add the butter, the evaporated milk, salt and pepper to your taste, and stir together.
- Add in the sour cream mixture, and the chopped green onions.
- Cover and let sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat over a medium-low heat for about 3 minutes, stirring often, until all is hot again.
A great potato recipe!! Made to go with steak and the potatoes turned out delicious!! I did add some bacon bits I had leftover from a salad I was making and that was good too. Will definitely make again and this time I will leave out the bacon bits. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!!
This was certainly different, my kids were a little leery with a new tasting potato dish. But it was very good and easy to make. The sauce was very nice and tasty and I like the subtle flavor of the ranch, it wasn't over powering at all like I thought it might be.
We found this dish to be very creamy. I had to cook it a little longer so the sauce would thicken up a bit. This was a good side dish with the grilled shrimp we had for dinner tonight. Thanks for the great recipe!