From "Chocolate and the Art of Low-Fat Desserts".
Make and share this Michael's Fudge Brownies (Low Fat) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened dutch process cocoa, plus
- 1⁄2 tablespoon unsweetened dutch process cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 tablespoons butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder or 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder, dissolved in
- 1 teaspoon hot water
- Position the rack in lower third of the oven and preheat to 350°F Spray the pan with vegetable oil spray.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder with a whisk.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan. Off the heat, stir in the sugar until combined (texture will remain sandy). Add the egg, egg whites, vanilla, and dissolved espresso powder. Beat with a wooden spoon about 40 strokes, scraped side of pan as necessary.
- Add the dry ingredients and beat for another 40 strokes, or until completely mixed. Scrape mixture into prepared pan. Spread evenly.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out a little gooey. Cool on a rack. Cut into 16 squares.
Wonderful dense fudgie brownies! We will definately make these again - I had a concern about the coffee taste after reading the reviews however my non-coffee drinking husband didn't notice any coffee flavor and ate two in no time. I baked my brownies in an 8x8 pan for 22 minutes.
I made this beaciue of the nice picture. Not bad at all for a low fat brownie, and I even lowfatted it a bit more. I didn't have as much better as I thought, so I used about 3 T butter and 3 T applesauce. I also used a/2 cup sugar and the rest splenda. I can't stand coffee so added extra vanilla. Very nice consistency, don't overbake them though.
Mmmm not too shabby for a low fat brownie! LOL Directions didn't say but I used an 8x8 pan. The coffee flavor comes through very strong so if you're not a fan of that flavor I wouldn't recommend this recipe. Even though I'm _not_ a coffee drinker, I do love chocolate & coffee desserts, so I loved these! Thanks for the recipe Redsie - I will be making these again!