Recipe by Redsie
From "Chocolate and the Art of Low-Fat Desserts".
Top Review by Mgnbos
Wonderful dense fudgie brownies! We will definately make these again - I had a concern about the coffee taste after reading the reviews however my non-coffee drinking husband didn't notice any coffee flavor and ate two in no time. I baked my brownies in an 8x8 pan for 22 minutes.
- 236.59 ml sifted all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml unsweetened dutch process cocoa, plus
- 7.39 ml unsweetened dutch process cocoa
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml baking powder
- 73.94 ml butter or 118.29 ml margarine
- 295.73 ml sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 4.92 ml instant espresso powder or 4.92 ml instant coffee powder, dissolved in
- 4.92 ml hot water
Directions See How It's Made
- Position the rack in lower third of the oven and preheat to 350°F Spray the pan with vegetable oil spray.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder with a whisk.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan. Off the heat, stir in the sugar until combined (texture will remain sandy). Add the egg, egg whites, vanilla, and dissolved espresso powder. Beat with a wooden spoon about 40 strokes, scraped side of pan as necessary.
- Add the dry ingredients and beat for another 40 strokes, or until completely mixed. Scrape mixture into prepared pan. Spread evenly.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out a little gooey. Cool on a rack. Cut into 16 squares.