Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A summer salad From the back of the book: "Last Bite - A novel of Culinary Romance" By Nancy Verde Barr, Julia Childs' executive chef. Who is Michaela? Michaela Pina is a character from above book who was being featured on a morning news show cooking segment from her 15th century villa in Chianti. She spent the segment crying and yelling "Un sacco di merda" (A sack of s---) at her cheating husband Carlo while managing to cook this salad.
- 1 lb whole wheat italian bread, several days old
- 2 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped into large pieces
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf, torn into large pieces
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Cut the bread into large pieces and put it into a bowl. Cover it with very cold water and let it soak for 1/2 hour.
- Put the onion slices into a smaller bowl, cover with cold water and let them soak for 1/2 hour, changing the water at least once.(This will sweeten the onions.).
- Drain the bread and gently but thoroughly squeeze it dry, then break it up into a serving bowl.
- Use a fork to toss the garlic, salt and pepper with the bread.
- Drain the onions and lay them over the bread.
- Toss the tomatoes with salt, pepper and basil and scatter them over the onions. Cover with plastic wrap and refridgerate for at least 1/2 hour.
- Pour the olive oil and vinegar over the salad, toss well.
- Garnish this dish with whole basil leaves if desired.