Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
From the television show "Melting Pot"; taken from the Beer Makes It Better episode.
- 14.79 ml oil
- 226.79 g thick slab bacon, cut into large dice
- 453.59 g pork shoulder, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 340.19 g light german beer
- 340.19 g chicken stock (or more, to cover)
- 453.59 g garlic sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 head cabbage, sliced thinly
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled seeded and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 907.18 g waxy potatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick (like Yukon Golds)
- 4.92 ml caraway seed
- salt and pepper
- 1 loaf crusty bread
- In a large ovenproof casserole, heat the oil, brown the bacon and pork, remove from the pan, and set aside.
- Add the onions and saute over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the browned meat, beer, and enough chicken stock to cover.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the sausage, cabbage, apples, potatoes, and caraway seeds and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook in the oven until meat is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread.