2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 40 mins
From the television show "Melting Pot"; taken from the Beer Makes It Better episode.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14.79 ml oil
- 226.79 g thick slab bacon, cut into large dice
- 453.59 g pork shoulder, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 340.19 g light german beer
- 340.19 g chicken stock (or more, to cover)
- 453.59 g garlic sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 head cabbage, sliced thinly
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled seeded and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 907.18 g waxy potatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick (like Yukon Golds)
- 4.92 ml caraway seed
- salt and pepper
- 1 loaf crusty bread
- 1In a large ovenproof casserole, heat the oil, brown the bacon and pork, remove from the pan, and set aside.
- 2Add the onions and saute over low heat for 10 minutes.
- 3Add the browned meat, beer, and enough chicken stock to cover.
- 4Bring to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes.
- 5Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 6Add the sausage, cabbage, apples, potatoes, and caraway seeds and season with salt and pepper.
- 7Cover and cook in the oven until meat is tender, about 45 minutes.
- 8Serve with crusty bread.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Michael Symon's Pork and Garlic Sausage Braised in Beer
Serving Size: 1 (784 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 811.6
- Calories from Fat 327
- Total Fat 36.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 81.2 mg
- Sodium 947.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
- Sugars 13.2 g
- Protein 31.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: