Member #610488's Note:
This is from a menu for a Super Bowl party.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups flour, plus more for rolling dough
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled cut into large chunks
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup hot heavy cream
- 8 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb bacon, chopped
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups farmer's cheese, shredded
- sour cream (garnish)
- chives, finely chopped (garnish)
- 1Combine egg, sour cream, butter, chives, and salt with your hands in a bowl. Don't worry if mixture is not uniform and, as with pie dough, don't overwork it. Add flour and mix with your hands until a dough forms. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate the dough at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.
- 2Put potatoes in a large pot and cover with 2 inches cold water. Bring to a boil. Season water generously with salt. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook until a knife easily pierces potatoes. Drain and return potatoes to same pot. Mash, slowly mixing in hot cream and cold butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- 3Warm olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook bacon until crisp (10 minutes). Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- 4Reduce heat to medium, toss onions into pan, and coat with bacon fat. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are caramelized and sweet (20 minutes). Let cool.
- 5Butter a casserole dish. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 6Roll pierogi dough out with a rolling pin to a 1/8 inch thick rectangle. Cut into 4 inch by 13 inch strips, re-rolling scraps as necessary. You will need 14 to 20 strips.
- 7Have mashed potatoes, crisp bacon, caramelized onions, pasta strips, and cheeses ready on a work surface. Arrange 1 layer pierogi dough strips on bottom of buttered casserole dish, slightly overlapping edges of strips.
- 8Spread a 1/2 inch layer of potatoes on top of dough. Top with some caramelized onions, bacon, and a sprinkling of both Gruyere and farmer's cheese. Repeat layers to use remaining ingredients. Finish with dough on top, followed by Gruyere and farmer's cheese. Season top with pepper.
- 9Cook until lasagna is bubbly and cheese on top is golden brown, about 40 minutes. Let rest 15 to 20 minutes and then serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of chives.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Michael Symon's Pierogi Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 801.1
- Calories from Fat 563
- Total Fat 62.6 g
- Saturated Fat 32.0 g
- Cholesterol 168.5 mg
- Sodium 948.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 19.8 g