Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is from a menu for a Super Bowl party.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 10 pieces
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed divided
- 1 small bunch fresh sage, leaves only divided
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup cracker crumb, finely crushed (Ritz crackers)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup lard, 1/2 cup chicken fat or 1⁄2 cup peanut oil
- 3 cups chicken stock
- hot sauce, to taste (recommend Ardvark Habanero)
- Season chicken pieces with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Combine buttermilk with 3 smashed garlic cloves and half the sage. Add chicken to buttermilk mixture and marinate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Combine 1 cup flour, cracker crumbs and paprika. Remove chicken from buttermilk and dredge in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Warm a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- When pan is hot, add lard, fat or oil, and then breaded chicken pieces in a single layer (work in batches if necessary; don't crowd pan). Brown chicken on both sides until golden. Transfer chicken to a baking sheet with tongs leaving fat in pan. Bake until cooked through (12 to 15 minutes).
- While chicken is baking, make gravy. Add remaining 3 cloves garlic and remaining sage to fat in skillet. Cook over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes until sage crisps and garlic becomes aromatic. Add remaining 3 Tbsp flour.
- Whisk to combine, then cook 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in 1 cup chicken stock, whisking until there are no lumps, then whisk in remaining stock. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Strain into a small saucepan and check for seasoning one more time, adding more salt and pepper if necessary. Add a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce, making it as spicy as you’d like.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and let it rest 5 minutes. Serve with gravy.