Recipe by Spankie
From "The Chew." Posting here for safekeeing with the rest of my favorites! Haven't tried it yet, but will update my post when we have.
- 1 bunch collard greens
- 1 bunch swiss chard
- 1 bunch mustard greens
- 1 large white onion (small diced)
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup bacon (diced)
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons chili flakes (divided)
- 1 cup gruyere (divided)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a shallow baking dish with butter.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil, then season generously with salt. Working in batches, cook the greens separately until tender. Collard greens and mustard greens take 3-4 minutes. Swiss chard can take less than a minute. Periodically take a piece from the water and taste to make sure it has reached desired doneness. Once each green is tender, put in a fine mesh strainer and press out all the liquid. Chop all the greens.
- In a medium-sized saute pan over medium heat, add the bacon. Render out the fat until the bacon is crispy. Once the bacon is golden brown, remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and reserve. In the same pan, add the onions and garlic and toss to coat in the rendered fat. Season with salt and pepper. Add 1 teaspoon chili flakes. Cook the mixture until it is soft, about 5-7 minutes. Add olive oil if the pan seems dry.
- Stir in the flour and cook for about a minute. Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly. Season with nutmeg. Cook the milk until it begins to thicken. Add half the gruyere. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, then remove from heat. Mix in the prepared greens, then pour into greased baking dish.
- Mix together the remaining gruyere, the parsley, remaining 1 teaspoon chili flakes, reserved bacon and bread crumbs. Top the dish with this mixture.
- Place on a sheet tray in the oven and cook for about 25 minutes, or until the gratin is bubbly and golden. .