Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
From the television show, Melting Pot. It is suggested that this be served hot or cold, as a side for chicken or pork.
- 1⁄2 lb smoked bacon, diced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 head red cabbage, cored and sliced
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 3 tablespoons coarse grain mustard
- 12 ounces wheat beer
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook the bacon over low heat.
- Add the onions and sweat for 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and season.
- Cook until cabbage is tender, about 30 minutes.
I am not giving this any stars because I made some changes to the recipe. I used green cabbage, "regular" beer, yellow prepared mustard and I did not add any caraway seeds because I could not find mine. The outcome was still very good. It gave the cabbage a nice flavor and it was tender. Sometimes when you cook cabbage it can be a little "gassy" but this was not gassy at all.
I'm surprised no one has rated this. Cabbage is almost the only veggie DH will eat. I used green cabbage but we liked it. Will probably use low fat ham next time to cut down on fat. Keeper. Thanks