1 hr 25 mins
Sue Lau's Note:
French braised chicken dish. Economical. From "The Chew".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Chicken
- olive oil
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- 3 lbs chicken thighs (bone-in, skin on)
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 carrots (finely diced)
- 1 onion (finely diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (sliced thinly)
- 2 celery ribs (finely diced)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
For the Onions and Mushrooms
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 white onions (sliced thinly)
- 1 lb cremini mushroom (sliced 1/4-inch thick)
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine
For the Sauce
- 1Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper.
- 2Brown chicken in oil in a heavy pan, in batches if necessary.
- 3While chicken is browning, tie the herbs and peppercorns in cheesecloth with a long piece of kitchen twine.
- 4Drain chicken and keep warm.
- 5Add butter to the pan with carrots, onions, garlic, and celery, salt and pepper. Saute until slightly soft, about 5 minutes.
- 6Sprinkle four over vegetables and quickly stir to mix with butter, then add the wine, a little bit at a time, so sauce does not clump.
- 7Reduce the wine by half, then add the chicken stock. Then add the cheesecloth wrapped herbs (bouquet garnis), tying the string to the pot handle so it doesn't get lost, and add chicken to pan.
- 8Reduce heat and simmer for 35 minutes or so, until chicken is done and tender.
- 9Whisk together the egg mixture in a small bowl and temper it by adding a small amount of the hot cooking liquid at a time, whisking constantly, so eggs do not curdle.
- 10Remove bouquet garnis from pan and stir in egg mixture and lemon zest, checking seasoning and adjusting with more salt and pepper if needed. Cook just one or two minutes to heat that, then remove from heat.
- 11Saute the onions and mushrooms in butter, seasoning with salt and pepper and cooking for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Add the wine to the saute pan and deglaze, stirring up any browned bits, and cooking until wine is reduced by half, a few minutes or so.
- 12Place some of the mushroom/onion mixture into a bowl and place some chicken and sauce on top. garnishing with parsley if desired.
- 13Cook's note: I recommend serving this with dry white wine, fresh baguette with softened herb butter and a tossed salad with freshly made vinaigrette and shaved parmesan (easy accompaniments for a large meal, or cut the recipe down using the serving sizer on the recipe page).
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Michael Symon's Chicken Fricassee
Serving Size: 1 (405 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 472.4
- Calories from Fat 287
- Total Fat 31.9 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 163.2 mg
- Sodium 358.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 25.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: