Recipe by Mme M
Michael Rohwer, who with his wife, Margie, owns the Bread & Butter Cafe and Ajo Cafe, provided Taste Plus and the Tucson Citizen with this recipe.
- 3 cups milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 5 ounces flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut flavoring
- 1 (9 inch) baked pie crusts
- 1 ounce toasted coconut
- 1 1⁄4 cups non-dairy whipped topping, whipped with mixer until smooth
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 1/2 cup milk and corn starch. Dissolve corn starch thoroughly and set aside.
- In a sauce pan combine remaining milk, egg yolks and sugar. Place on high heat and bring to simmer, stirring constantly.
- Just before it starts to boil, add milk and corn starch mixture. Using a wire whisk, whip thoroughly until smooth. As soon as it thickens, remove from heat and strain.
- In a bowl, combine pie filling, flaked coconut and coconut flavoring. Mix well with wire whip and chill until set. Pour chilled filling in pie shell. Top with whipped topping and sprinkle with toasted coconut. Refrigerate until ready to serve.