Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is my version of the classic Badenian Sour Liver (Badisches Saures Leberle)
Make and share this Mia's Sour Liver Badenian Style recipe from Food.com.
- 10 1⁄2 ounces beef liver
- 1 large onion
- 1 large apple, tart
- 1 ounce butter
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider
- 1⁄8 cup balsamic vinegar, dark
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat whipping cream
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Slice liver into 1/2 x 2'' slices.
- Finely slice onion.
- Peel, core and slice apple into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Heat 1 ounce butter in a large skillet, add liver and stir-fry quickly, about 3 or 4 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a seperate small pan, at the same time, heat 1/2 tablesoon butter and fry the apple slices.
- Remove liver from skillet when slightly browned, after about 3 or 4 minutes. Keep on a warm plate.
- Add onions and flour to the skillet, stir.fry until brown.
- Add apple cider, balsamic vinegar and red wine, let simmer slowly for about 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, then cream.
- Add the seperately fried apple slices.
- Put the liver back into the skillet, let warm through without further boiling.
- Serve immediately with spaetzle and green salad.