Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From delicious World Menus cookbook, stated as being from Morocco. Gluten-free suitable provided spices used are gluten-free. Serves 4. A nice change to toast or breakfast cereal ! Suitable for breakfast, brunch or even a light lunch. The recipe makes a meze plate consisting a boiled egg, mixed olives, a small salad and eggplant/ricotta roll.
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves, chopped
- 200 g low-fat ricotta cheese
- 4 eggs
- 6 baby roma tomatoes, halved (can use cherry tomatoes or tomato wedges)
- 2 small long cucumbers, halved lengthways, Lebanese cucumbers are perfect
- 1⁄2 cup mixed olive
- 1 tablespoon za'atar spice mix or 1 tablespoon sumac
- 100 g reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons honey
- extra virgin olive oil, for presentation to drizzle
- extra mint leaf (to garnish)
- Preheat a chargrill pan or bbq plate to medium-high heat.
- Cut eggplant lenghways into 8 think slices, then lightly brush each side with olive oil.
- Grill eggplant for 2 minutes each side or until charred. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Stir the chopped mint into the ricotta and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread a heaped tablespoon of the ricotta mix at the end of each slice of grilled eggplant and roll up to enclose. Repeat with remaining eggplant slices. Set aside.
- Place the eggs in a pan, cover with hot water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium simmer for 5-6 minutes for soft boiled. Remove the eggs from the hot water and plunge them into iced water. Peel then halve the eggs.
- To serve - 4 plates will each have two eggplant rolls, an egg, olives and a salad of cucumber, tomatoes and feta cheese. Drizzle the plate with honey and olive oil. Sprinkle the eggs with sumac or zaatar. . Garnish with a sprig of mint.
Aussie Swap #83: Now this is an unusual breakfast but OUTSTANDING! This is my kind of breakfast - veggies, eggs, cheeses - YUM!! Full of flavor!
This was a really interesting breakfast. The egg plant rolls had a great flavor, although I had a hard time cutting even, thin slices. It made for a very substantial meal, and it as quick and easy to throw together the salad and eggs while the eggplant cooled. For ZWT9