Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a traditional Omani summertime favorite, a light tuna with rice lunch, that needs heat and sun to turn out just right.
- In a bowl, salt the sliced onions.
- Mix well.
- Place the bowl outside in direct sunlight on a hot day and leave for at least an hour.
- Bring in the onions. Wash the onions in water, squeezing them gently. Drain. Wash again two or three times. Drain.
- Flake the tuna and add to the onions with the rest of the ingredients. Add 3/4 cup of water and salt to taste.
- Serve immediately over hot cooked white rice.
I don't know how to rate this..it was interesting. I have never made anything like it. It was not very hot (only about 80F) here in PA today, so I left the onions out in the sun for 3-4 hours. The onions softened and gave off a very pleasant smell. I felt that the spices and tuna went very well with this, but I would prefer to serve it without rice, personally. Thanks Sage!