Recipe by Manami
This fun assortment of flavorful nibbles is ideal for summer entertaining. End the meal with frozen yogurt or a fruit salad of halved fresh cherries and pieces of watermelon. BonAppetit Magazine, August 2009 edition. The cumputer has been playing gmaes with me, please forgive the headings in the directions. ;)
Top Review by FrenchBunny
This was just so Yummy !!!! Made it for a nice light delicious lunch..we enjoyed it very much. I did cut the recipe down in half since we were only 2. I made the hummus the night before and the tomato mixture in the early morning and cut the cucumbers in the morning. Then just brought everything to work for lunch. Arranged the cucumber part at work along with assembling the platter. I had poured a little virgin olive oil over the hummus before serving. Also I had cooked the shrimps in chicken broth for a little flavor. The flavors of this platter was absolutely delicious. Thanks so much for sharing Manami...
- 16 ounces garbanzo beans, drained (chickpeas)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus additional for drizzling
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika, plus additional for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 16 cooked large shrimp (peeled deveined, tails intact)
- 16 unpitted kalamata olives
- 1 cup diced seeded tomatoes (about 3 medium)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon packed finely grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 (6 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained
- 1⁄2 unpeeled English cucumber, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1⁄2 cup plain nonfat yogurt (preferably Greek-style) or 1⁄2 cup low-fat yogurt, whisked to loosen (preferably Greek-style)
- 3⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon mint
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- 4 -6 pita breads
Directions See How It's Made
- Place 1 tablespoon garbanzo beans in small bowl and reserve for garnish.
- Combine remaining garbanzo beans, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons water, 2 tablespoons oil, garlic, cumin, and 1 teaspoon paprika in processor and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to small bowl; season to taste with salt, pepper & crushed red pepper flakes for that extra kick.
- Sprinkle reserved garbanzo beans over.
- (* DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before using.).
- Drizzle hummus lightly with oil and sprinkle lightly with paprika.
- SHRIMP, OLIVES AND TOMATO SALAD:.
- Combine all ingredients in medium bowl and toss to blend.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- (** DO AHEAD: Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- CUCUMBER, YOGURT, & FETA SALAD.
- Arrange cucumber slices on plate; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spoon yogurt over.
- Sprinkle with feta cheese and oregano.
- (*** DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 hour ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Place marinated artichokes in small bowl.
- Arrange bowls of hummus, shrimp salad, and artichokes and plate with cucumber salad on large platter.
- Garnish with lemon wedges.
- Toast pita breads in toaster, then cut into wedges; arrange pita wedges on platter with salads and serve.