Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a light cake with a layer over a rich lemon pudding. It is wonderful served warm or cold with fresh berries or a raspberry sauce. Be sure to use fresh meyer lemon juice in this yummy dessert for a nice lemon orange flavor.
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice (meyer lemons)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup reduced-fat milk (2 percent)
- fresh raspberry
- Preheat oven to 325°F Lightly grease a 9x 5-inch loaf pan or a 6-cup soufflé dish.
- With an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Separate eggs yolks and whites. Add yolks to butter mixture and beat well. Add lemon juice, salt and flour; beat well. Add milk; stir until well blended.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Gently fold into lemon mixture. Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes, covering with foil for the last 10 minutes if the top gets too brown. Serve warm or chilled with berries. Serves 6.
I had some Meyer lemons I had bought on a whim so I thought I would give this a go. It's good but not really what I expect from a pudding cake. The top layer wasn't really a cake texture - it was very very light, almost to the point of being squishy like a cross between a light cake and a marshmallow. The flavour was really nice. Made for PAC Spring '12