1/1 Photo of Meyer-Lemon Pudding Cake
The gift of a half dozen Meyer lemons sent me in search of new ways to use this special fruit. Much sweeter than the common lemon, it is akin to a Mandarin orange has an edible peel. Alas, my supply ran out before I had a chance to try this recipe from Bon Appetite. One day I will, but in the meantime I'm sharing it with my fellow cooking companions. Please note the cake calls for a chilling 2 hours to overnight. Makes this a great make ahead dessert for a dinner party or other occasion.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 7 tablespoons lemon juice (about 2 Meyer-lemons)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 tablespoon grated meyer lemon zest, chopped if the pieces are too long
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2In a mixing bowl beat the egg whites and 1/4 cup sugar until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- 3In a small bowl mix together the sugar and flour and set aside.
- 4In another bowl stir together the lemon juice, melted butter, and lemon zest. Add this to the flour mixture and stir well.
- 5In yet another bowl whisk the egg yolks and the buttermilk. Add to the lemon mixture and stir well. If you are using regular lemons, taste to be sure the mixture is sweet enough.
- 6Using a rubber spatula, fold the beaten egg whites into the lemon—egg yolk mixture.
- 7Butter and sugar 6 soufflé cups or ramekins and fill 3/4 full. Bake in a water bath until top feels slightly firm, about 40 minutes. Do not brown.
- 8Let cool to room temperature and then chill for 2 hours to overnight. The pudding cakes can be served in the ramekins with the cake on top, or inverted onto plates so that the pudding layer is on top.
- 9Whip cream and a teaspoon of the sugar together and set aside.
- 10To serve, garnish the chilled cakes with a dollop of whipped cream. Sprinkle a little zest on top.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meyer-Lemon Pudding Cake
Serving Size: 1 (171 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 345.9
- Calories from Fat 159
- Total Fat 17.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 132.9 mg
- Sodium 171.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 36.8 g
- Protein 6.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
meyer lemon zest
lemons, zest of