Prep 20 mins
Cook 504 hrs
From the Lemonladies in California, this is HEAVEN! (cooking time is the amoutn of time the lemon zest sits in the alcohol)
- 2 1⁄2 lbs meyer lemons
- 10 lemon leaves
- 1 liter distilled spirits (90% to 95% pure spirits)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sugar
- 34 ounces water
- Wash the lemons and leaves; with a potato peeler remove the rind from the lemon (take care to only remove yellow skin, not white flesh.
- put lemon rind,leaves and alcohol in a sealed jar and let it soak for two or three weeks.
- Toward the end of the two/three weeks put sugar and water in a pan, let it boil for 4 minutes and let it cool.
- Mix everything, remove the lemon rind and filter the mixture through a coffee paper filter or washed cheesecloth.
- Put in bottles and put in freezer. In few hours the limoncello is ready to be served.
- If you cannot find pure spirits, you can substitute a good quality vodka, and cut back on some of the water.