Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Posted by request
Top Review by Beth Gray
LOVE this recipe! It is my go-it cheesecake for get togethers at church or work. EVERYONE asks for the recipe. The secret to a great cheesecake is to use a crust that pairs well with the cheesecake - never use graham cracker as it is too strong a taste and it overpowers the subtle flavor of a really good cheesecake. For this cheesecake I make my own lemon wafers cutting the sugar in half. Too much sugar in the crust and it will crystallize when you bake it making the crust hard as a rock. Using the substitute of orange and lemon juice works well if there are no Meyer lemons to be had. Also - NEVER beat the cream cheese on med-high - always low and slow to prevent air from being whipped into the batter. Fewer cracks that way! AND putting a pan of water in the oven for a steam bath while it cooks is always a good idea.
- 1 1⁄2 cups lemon cookie crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons meyer lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh meyer lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh meyer lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- *If you can't get Meyer lemons, mix equal parts fresh orange and fresh lemon juice to approximate their sweet fragrance and flavor.
- Preheat oven to 325°; grease a 9-inch springform pan with 3-inch sides.
- Crust: in a bowl, combine the cookie crumbs and butter; press into bottom of cheesecake pan and freeze.
- Filling: in a large mixer bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar on med-high speed for 3 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Mix in zest, juice, and vanilla; pour over frozen crust.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the top is light brown and the center has a slight jiggle to it.
- Cool on the counter for 10 minutes (do not turn the oven off); the cake will sink slightly.
- Topping: in a small bowl, combine sour cream, sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla; pour mixture into the center of cooled cake and spread out to edges.
- Bake for 5 minutes more.
- Cool on rack for 2 hours; cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving.