Recipe by Dave Salch
This is a cross between Mexican and Italian, but a basic sausage and peppers recipe.
- 2 links cooked turkey sausage
- 4 red bell peppers
- 2 green bell peppers
- 2 yellow onions
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (7 ounce) can spicy tomato sauce, El Pato Mexican hot style
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare ingredients:.
- Slice sausage links into 1/8 inch slices. Slice bell peppers into 1 inch slices, maybe 2 to 4 inches long. Peel and cut onions into eights.
- To cook:.
- Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Sauté the sausage just until it starts browning. Add onions and sauté until onions start browning.
- Add the garlic, basil, thyme, salt, crushed red pepper, black pepper. Sauté for a couple minutes, mixing constantly.
- Add the bell peppers and stir every minute until the peppers start to get soft.
- Turn the heat to high and add the Mexican tomato sauce. Stir constantly for about 3 minutes then turn heat off. The liquid should be boiled off and sauce thickened.
- We prefer this served over rice or pasta prepared with herbs.