Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 mins
I love the Meximelts at Taco Bell. However, I don't eat there a lot because sometimes, it gives me a tummy ache. But when I do, there are only two things I order-EVER! Chili-cheese burritos and Meximelts. One of my gal-pals worked there and told me what was in one. I couldn't figure it out because I was too busy inhaling it. So...here's my take on the Meximelt.
- 1 lb ground beef (use your fave taco seasoning mix to season by package directions)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2-1 cup salsa, any you desire (I prefer mild)
- 8 inches flour tortillas
- Prepare the hamburger meat and drain off all the grease and/or water. Season.
- Microwave the tortilla until it is soft and easy to roll.
- Place a layer of ground beef in the bottom.
- Combine all the cheeses (I just throw it all in a zip-top bag and shake so if there is any left over, I can have it for later.)and sprinkle the desired amount over the beef.
- Add desired amount of salsa, but do not use too much.
- (This is sort of like a taco, only the cheese is melted and there is no lettuce or sour cream or any other toppings.).
- Fold in half and place on a plate.
- Microwave for 30 seconds or just until the cheese is melted.
Simple and satisfying. Only enough for 6.
Yum. I used Taco Bell brand seasoning mix, low carb wheat tortillas, low fat pre-shrdded Mexican cheese and lowfat ground beef with chopped onion. Didn't have salsa, so I added some Siracha to the beef mix towards the end. Delicious. Be careful, super hot right out of the microwave.
Arriba, arriba! These were so delicious...I'm sure I would be disappointed by the Taco Bell version if I ever tried it (so I'll stick with Amy's recipe). I used Recipe #2642 and modified Recipe #59635 to accommodate my sparse pantry. I also decided at the last minute to pan fry (w/Pam), like quesadillas, instead of microwaving. Loved the crunchy exterior it gave to the wheat tortillas. It was over the moon good! .......................................RIP, Amy.