Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
From the cookbook: 500 Vegan Recipes. This is a quick and flavorful meatless substitute for ground beef in any of your favorite Mexican dishes (tacos, burritos, enchiladas, quesadillas or nachos). I really like that this recipe can be made in 5-10 minutes, right in the microwave. Feel free to cut back on the cayenne pepper, or use it "to taste". I made it with the full amount listed, and did not find it to be too hot at all, just a nice amount of "heat". I've made this using TVP (Bob's Red Mill brand) as well as with Butler Soy Curls, both are delicious! I also cut back a little on the oil at the end, I probably used about 2 tbsp instead of the full quarter cup.
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar (or evaporated cane juice)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water or 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the TVP, paprika, cumin, sugar, garlic and onion powder, cyaenne, chili, chipotle and salt.
- Add water or broth and cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Microwave on high for 6-8 minutes.
- - OR - Bring water/broth to a boil, then add the TVP and spices, cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Stir to combine (careful it's hot right from the microwave).
- Add canola oil as listed, or to taste.