Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
I've been eating this dish for 20 years. It's a great, filling, feel-good dinner.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, cut in strips
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (12 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup ripe olives, sliced
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- In skillet brown beef with onion, green pepper, and garlic; pour off fat.
- Stir in corn, tomato paste, 1-1/2 cups water, olives, chili powder, and 1 teaspoon salt. Simmer 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir cornmeal and 1/2 teaspoon salt into 2 cup cold water; cook in saucepan over medium heat, stirring until thickened (about 15 minutes).
- Stir cheese into meat mixure until melted; pour into 2-quart baking dish.
- Spoon cornmeal mixture over meat (it will look like dumplings sitting on top of meat mixture).
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Makes 6 servings.