1/3 Photos of Mexicana Eggs
Sue Lau's Note:
My husband likes huevos rancheros, and I thought I would make these up as an interesting diversion from the usual eggs he has.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon adobo seasoning or 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeno peppers or 2 tablespoons chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 4 fresh corn tortillas or 4 tostadas
- 1/2 cup monterey jack pepper cheese, queso blanco or 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup ranchera sauce (or may use enchilada sauce or salsa)
- 1 tablespoon lard or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2In a bowl, lightly beat eggs with adobo, pepper, jalapenos and sour cream.
- 3If using fresh corn tortillas, fry them in a shallow amount of lard or vegetable oil on both sides until they crisp up, then drain on paper toweling.
- 4Place 2 crispy tortillas on a baking sheet.
- 5In a small skillet, scramble the eggs in 1 tbsp lard until just lightly set.
- 6Divide eggs evenly among both tortillas.
- 7Top with remaining tortillas.
- 8Spoon 1/4 cup sauce onto the top of each stacked tortilla, and sprinkle with cheese.
- 9Bake stacked tortillas for 3-5 minutes at 400F or until cheese is melted and eggs are hot.
- 10Serve garnished with additional jalapenos or chilies, if desired.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexicana Eggs
Serving Size: 1 (197 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 430.4
- Calories from Fat 248
- Total Fat 27.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 456.8 mg
- Sodium 452.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 22.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: