Recipe by abigail363
Recipe from a card I received in the mail. I call it Jamaican Chicken because it reminds me of food I had while working in Jamaica.
- 1⁄2 cinnamon stick, broken into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 tomatillos, peeled and chopped
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small nonstick skillet combine cinnamon stick, sesame seeds and cloves. Cook over low heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Stir in chili powder.
- In a blender, food processor or small coffee grinder, process the spice mixture until ground. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onion. Cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add broth, tomato sauce, tomatillos, tomato and reserved spice mixture.
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler. Sprinkle chicken with 1 tsp ground cinnamon (not from mixture prepared above). Broil, turning once, until no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Place on serving plates; spoon sauce over top. Serve immediately.
- Optional cooking methods.
- Crock Pot -- Complete steps 1 - 3, place mixture and raw chicken in crock pot and cook until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Stove top -- Complete step 1 - 3, bring sauce mix to a boil and then add raw chicken. Cook until chicken is not longer pink inside.