1/7 Photos of Mexican Yellow Rice and Black Beans
1 hr 15 mins
This recipe is adapted from American Diabetes Association cookbook--Diabetes & Heart Healthy Cookbook. It is a delicious blending of southwestern flavors that is so simple to prepare.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cups vegetable stock or 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 medium bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, snipped
- 2 medium limes, quartered
- 1Bring the vegetable or chicken stock to a boil; stir in the turmeric and brown rice.
- 2Bring rice to boiling, stir once, lower heat and cook 40 to 45 minutes or until done and liquid has been absorbed, adding more liquid if needed.
- 3Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add 1 teaspoon of olive oil, warming slightly.
- 4To the warmed pan, add the onion, jalapeno, bell peppers, and red pepper flakes; cook for 4 minutes or until beginning to brown on the edges, remove from heat.
- 5Stir the drained beans and cumin into the mixture adding salt to taste.
- 6Let stand covered for 5 minutes; stir in the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- 7To serve, divide the rice into 4 equal portions and place on individual plates.
- 8Top the rice with bean mixture, sprinkle with cheese and snipped cilantro.
- 9Serve lime wedges on the side to squeeze over all.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Yellow Rice and Black Beans
Serving Size: 1 (226 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 348.6
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 14.9 mg
- Sodium 386.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.0 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 14.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: