Recipe by PaulaG
This recipe is adapted from American Diabetes Association cookbook--Diabetes & Heart Healthy Cookbook. It is a delicious blending of southwestern flavors that is so simple to prepare.
Top Review by TasteTester
It's great to find a healthy dish that's delicious too. We had it just by itself since we are trying to cut back on meat. It looked so colorful and was full of flavor. I didn't have any turmeric, so I subbed a packet of Sazon Azafran. And since my son doesn't like cilantro or limes, instead of dressing it with them, I just mixed the juice and cilantro in with the dish. I love the flavor they add, and he didn't know the difference. LOL. Thanks for sharing this -- as others said I think it will make a great filling too for burritos and tostadas. Yum!
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cups vegetable stock or 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 medium bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, snipped
- 2 medium limes, quartered
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the vegetable or chicken stock to a boil; stir in the turmeric and brown rice.
- Bring rice to boiling, stir once, lower heat and cook 40 to 45 minutes or until done and liquid has been absorbed, adding more liquid if needed.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add 1 teaspoon of olive oil, warming slightly.
- To the warmed pan, add the onion, jalapeno, bell peppers, and red pepper flakes; cook for 4 minutes or until beginning to brown on the edges, remove from heat.
- Stir the drained beans and cumin into the mixture adding salt to taste.
- Let stand covered for 5 minutes; stir in the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- To serve, divide the rice into 4 equal portions and place on individual plates.
- Top the rice with bean mixture, sprinkle with cheese and snipped cilantro.
- Serve lime wedges on the side to squeeze over all.