Recipe by KlynnPadilla
Mexican white rice is my favorite rice preparation. This recipe comes from Gourmet Sept. 07; posted so I won't loose it! I will probably add a little parsley.
- 3 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 cup finely chopped white onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring about 6 cups water to a boil and pour over rice in a bowl. Soak rice until it has turned a more opaque white, 2 to 3 minutes. (Rice can be soaked up to 4 hrs.) Drain well and spread out on a kitchen towel to dry, at least one hour.
- Cook onion and garlic in oil in a wide 4-5 quart heavy pot or deep skillet over med. heat, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add rice and cook over med-high heat, stirring, until pale golden, about 5 minute Add broth, water, and 2 teaspoons salt and bring to a boil.
- Cover tightly and cook over low heat until rice is tender, 18-20 minutes. Let stand covered 5 min., then fluff with fork and serve.