Innocent looking mounds of powdered sugar seem to explode in your mouth. Terrific light and crisp texture.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place pecans on a cookie sheet and toast for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.
- Cool pecans completely before proceeding.
- IN THE FOOD PROCESSER (preferred) -----------.
- Process pecans, salt and sugar until pecans are ground very fine.
- Cut the butter in chunks and, with the motor running, add.
- Process until smooth and creamy.
- Scrape down bowl, add vanilla and pulse.
- Add flour and salt, pulse until it starts to clump.
- OR IN THE MIXER-------------.
- Soften butter.
- Grind toasted pecans.
- In medium bowl whisk, flour, nuts and salt until combined.
- Combine sugar and butter in a mixing bowl, beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla extract and scrape down bowl.
- Stir on low speed, gradually adding the flour mixture until just incorporated.
- FOR EITHER METHOD-------------.
- Place dough into a bowl and refrigerate for 1 to 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees f.
- Measure dough using a gently rounded 1 ¼" scoop, or 1 scant tablespoon, roll between palms to form a 1" balls.
- Place balls 1 ½" apart on cookie sheet, bake for 15 mins or until just beginning to brown, undersides will be lightly browned.
- Rotate pan half way through cooking for even baking.
- Cool cookies on sheet for 2-3 mins, using a small angled spatula lift the cookies from the sheet and gently roll several times in powdered sugar.
- Cool completely on rack and roll again in powdered sugar.
- Store in an airtight container for about 1 month.